Dear Protestant friends, the following questions are legitimate questions I have for you. I am not trying to stump you, and neither are these questions for the sake of argument. You can answer any of them, one of them, or all of them, in the comment section below. Or you can privately contact me, asking for my contact info in the comment section.
These questions are organized according to subject.
Authority and the pope
- Why do you believe we should not have a leader here on earth to guide the church into the true interpretation of scripture?
- How do you know that your interpretation of scripture is correct, against the (perhaps contradictory) interpretation of another fellow Christ follower (Catholic or Protestant)? How are you sure YOU have the truth?
- Why would the Holy Spirit guide different Christians (hence different denominations) to different interpretations?
Bible and Sola Scriptura
- If you believe Sola Scriptura, where in scripture is the principle or doctrine of Sola Scriptura found?
- If you do not believe Sola Scriptura, why not? It is one of the pillars of the Protestant Reformation founded by Martin Luther, is it not?
- Pick up your Bible and hold it. Where did the Holy Bible come from?
- If you are a Protestant who believes that baptism is just a symbol, does not save you or play any role whatsoever in a person’s salvation, can you explain this to me from the Bible?
- Did you now that Martin Luther and most of the Protestant father’s hung onto the Catholic doctrine of baptism and believed that baptism is essential for salvation and is for the forgiveness of sins?
Jesus, Peter, and the Catholic Church
- In light of Matthew 16:18-20, do you believe that Jesus Christ started a church with Peter at the head of it?
- If no, then what does Jesus mean by telling Peter “you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church….I give you, [Peter], the keys of the kingdom of heaven…”?
- If yes, why are you not apart of the only church on earth today that can trace it’s authority back to the apostle Peter, the Catholic Church?
History, Corruption, and the Catholic Church
- I know that some Protestants believe that Jesus did indeed start a church with Peter at the head, it came to be known as the Catholic Church, but at some point it became so corrupt that the Protestant Reformation was justified. My question is: When in history did the Catholic Church become so corrupt that it lost it’s God-given authority?
- I agree, at the time of Martin Luther (1517) the Catholic Church was in great need of reform. What I did not know is that the Catholic Church today is the first to admit that it needed reform, and that it has indeed reformed since the 1500’s. Did you know that?
- What else is still wrong, corrupted, anti-biblical in the Catholic Church to warrant you continuing to “protest” against it?
Why are you NOT a Catholic?